Made in America:
As summer approaches, we typically begin to see a rise in the visibility of our national patriotism. The children are out of school and summer vacations to national monuments begin, the sound of the national anthem at the start of every baseball game becomes a familiar melody, and we begin to anticipate the celebration of the 4th of July with a little traditional apple pie and ice cream. Our national patriotism has been on the rise in the years since 9/11 and we see more homes, cars, and businesses flying the Stars and Stripes.
The loss of over 5 million manufacturing jobs in the United States in the last decade has brought fuel to the conversation regarding “Made In America” products. Our society has become less concerned with the origin of our manufactured products as prices of internationally manufactured goods have come down and goods that were once only available to the highly affluent are now affordable to the average consumer. The question remains, how do we table the conversation on immediateprice gratification and address the true benefits to our nation of purchasing “Made In America” products? The pros to our national economy may outweigh the benefits of a cheaper product:
1) Quality Control- increased ability to regulate the product and the manufacturing process.
2) Shorter lead times on delivery.
3) Lower cost on shipping.
4) US manufacturing plants maintain higher health regulations standards and subsequently may be considered healthier for the environment.
5) US manufacturing facilities traditionally have higher standards for working conditions for their employees and do not employ child labor.
6) US companies follow minimum wage guidelines and do not exploit workers. A fair day’s pay for a fair day’s work.
7) A domestic procurement program could increase US manufacturing by nearly 30% while providing jobs, reviving businesses, and stimulating the economy.
8) US manufactures adhere to consumer protection and safety laws thus producing a more safely regulated end product.
9) Buying “Made In America” products helps to ensure the survival of US jobs now and in the future.
Ultimately the choice in product procurement lies in the hands of the end user. As designers, builders, architects, and manufacturers within the building and growth sector of our society, we have a clear choice. We can help grow our nation both physically and financially by making a conscious decision to utilize products and work with manufactures that proudly displaythe “Made In America” label.
With less than a handful of us left, Reveal Designs® prides itself in manufacturing “Made In America” handcrafted luxury hardware. All of our efforts are focused on creating superior quality products designed by world-renowned American architects and designers, including James Cutler and his firm Cutler Anderson Architects, Peter Bohlin and his firm Bohlin Cywinski Jackson, The Frank Lloyd Wright School of Architecture and Matthew Quinn. All of our hardware is constructed of only the finest quality materials, including stainless steel and bronze. Reveal Designs products are sold exclusively through its retailer/distributor network across the United States, Canada and the United Kingdom.